You’re looking for an easy and delicious soup recipe, aren’t you? I knew it. This one is quickly becoming a staple around here, probably because I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand. Basic ingredients shortly turn into a not-at-all-basic meal that is bursting with flavor and color.
Shredded pork works just as well as chicken or you could sub in vegetable broth and more beans for a vegetarian option. I used Tostitos restaurant-style salsa, medium heat for some spice, but just use your favorite salsa, bonus points if it’s homemade. You may want to double the recipe just so you have plenty of leftovers!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 each red and green bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 jar (15.5 oz.) salsa, any variety
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- toppings : crispy tortilla strips, avocado slices, sour cream, pickled jalapeno slices, cilantro, fresh lime juice, or all of the above
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, bell peppers, and tomato until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and paprika and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the salsa,chicken stock, shredded chicken, and black beans (if using). Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to low. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Dish up and garnish as desired.