I bought white linen curtains from IKEA for Matilda’s room last year and never really liked how they looked. After poking around on Pinterest I decided to attempt to dye them, so here we are now. Yes, a year has passed but who’s keeping track? One mistake I made right off the bat was cutting them to the length I needed before washing them. Yeah, don’t do that. Even though I didn’t dry them they shrunk up about eight inches. Oops.
I ended up using them as a test set and then used another pair that I had on hand for the final product.
What you’ll need:
- rubber gloves
- fabric dye
- large tub or bin
- stick or large spoon (for stirring the fabric)
- Fill a large bin with enough water to fully submerge the curtains. Prepare your dye according to the package instructions and add to the tub of water. Stir to combine.
- Dampen the curtains with water and start the dye process. Wearing rubber gloves, lower the fabric into the dye water. Stir to ensure an even color. To create an ombre effect, start with one end and lower into the water in sections, waiting 10-15 minutes before lowering the next section.
- Leave the curtains in the dye for 10+ minutes, depending on how saturated you want the color, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully remove from dye and rinse.
- Launder*, dry, and hang!
*Be careful when washing your curtains because they will probably shrink. Your best bet may be to buy some that are too long and hem them after you dye and wash them.
This was a simple and inexpensive way to add color to Matilda’s room and I absolutely love how they turned out. If you try it let me know how it turns out!